Home » Posts tagged 'Solar'
Tag Archives: Solar
In this post, we wrap up our interview with Wayne Lording. Previously, we looked at what Wayne did to reduce his energy bills and water and fertiliser use. See here for an introduction to the series. The key points from the wrap up are:
- Wayne’s investment helped reduced his costs through lower use of LPG, electricity, fertiliser and water,
- Other farmers can also reduce their costs by investing in renewables and water reuse,
- Very easy to install,
- Can benefit very soon from reduced utility bills, and
- Can also benefit from freeing up cash to invest in the farm.
Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoyed the series!
In the second of our series on Sustainable Farming on Wayne Lording’s farm (see here for the introduction), we talk to Wayne about how and why he installed solar and geothermal technologies to replace conventional energy sources. Key points are:
- Combined solar and geothermal system has a payback period of one year.
- Geothermal technologies are available and proven in Australia.
- The key savings are from reducing ongoing energy costs. In Wayne’s case, he saved $5200 per year from reducing the need to use LPG.
- Because renewable energy technologies require little or no fuel, they provide a useful hedge against electricity or LPG price volatility.
Late last year Lindsey Beck and I interviewed Wayne Lording on his farm. I was interested to see why and how Wayne implemented sustainability technologies on his farm. Essentially, he gains a financial benefit from using renewable energy and water reuse. Interestingly, he is one of the few farmers using geothermal energy on his farm. The two videos here are an introduction this series. In the following weeks we will have videos on:
- Renewable energy, specifically solar and geothermal,
- Water reuse, and
- Wrap up,
In all the videos, I provide a brief economic analysis of Wayne’s investments. I hope you enjoy this series.